Friday, April 16, 2010

Open up your plans and, damn, you’re free!

I’m a planner, a list maker. In business and at home this serves me well. I’ve planned Girl Scout events for 300 girls, meetings for hundreds of customers, product releases, women's retreats, week-long camping vacations—you name it, I’ve planned it. And vacations are what I love to plan the most: the research, daydreaming, and anticipation are a big part of the vacation fun for me. I like to look forward to things, whether it’s vacation, a night out, or a yoga workshop.

But, boy, once those plans are made, do I get attached to them. Most of the time this works out fine because the plans go off without a hitch. I’m lucky enough to live in an area where there are lots of yoga classes and workshops to choose from. This last month, however, three separate workshops I’d signed up for were cancelled. And then I realized attending this summer’s yoga conference didn’t make fiscal sense for our family. I was really disappointed. I mean go-into-a funk-for-two-days disappointed. I had been so attached to the idea of what I thought each of those experiences would be like, it was hard to let go. (And if I’m honest, it still is.)

My yoga angel sister reminded me that changes happen for a reason, that I need to be open to what’s supposed to happen. So my challenge now is to stop looking back at all those imagined future and be present. That is always my challenge!

In I’m Yours, Jason Mraz says it so well:
Open up your mind and see like me.
Open up your plans and, damn, you’re free.
Open up your heart and you’ll find love, love, love.

Namaste, Jason.

No comments:

Post a Comment